Monday, January 23, 2012

The End of Our Adventure: January 5, 2012


Unbeknownst by Jessi and I at the time, but Miletta Vista would be our last stop on our very first Nebraska Wine Tour. The last months of the year flew by in a flurry of work, Christmas shopping, and missed opportunities to get together to try and squeeze in one or two more trips (a lot due to bizarre hours at the closest vineyards/wineries that we hadn’t hit yet).

The fates aligned once again and Jessi and I got the same day off so I made an impromptu trip to Lincoln to have a girls day with my bestie. On the To-Do list were shopping, gun shooting (which we didn’t get to do), cookie baking, movie watching, and wine drinking.

Jessi had the totally awesome idea of making color copies of our Wine Tour passports so we could send in the originals and have a copy to keep as a souvenir. We stopped at a copy place and had really good color copies made and laminated. We then made for the From Nebraska Gift Shop to pick up some Nebraska Wine.



I got two bottles of one of my favorite wines of the tour, Glacial Till’s Frontenac Rose, since it’s not sold in my part of the state. I have resisted cracking into them so far, I’ll probably save them for a “special occasion”: ie. when Jessi comes to visit. Then, we headed back to Jessi’s new apartment to watch movies, drink Nebraska wine, and make cookies.

The Nebraska Wine Tour is probably one of the best adventures I’ve ever been on. I met some interesting characters, drank some awesome (and not so great) wine, learned a lot, and created some amazing memories along the way.

Some of my favorite experiences of the tour (in no particular order):

1)      Finding Sir Drunkalot
2)      Glacial Till
3)      The "Posted Way" or "My Way" options at Windcrest
4)      Tropasti at James Arthur
5)      Tasting grapes off the vine at Soaring Wings
6)      Drinking wine with Grandma Liz at Cedar Hills
7)      Touring with my mom, Jessi, and Jenna to 5 Trails and Feather River
8)      Grape stomping at Kimmel
9)      The storm at Slattery
10)  The Harvest Festival at Mac’s Creek

As for my favorite vineyards/wineries of the tour, I enjoyed almost all of them but my top three would be (once again, in no particular order):

1)      Glacial Till
2)      Mac’s Creek
3)      Miletta Vista

Jessi and I plan on doing the tour again next year, and probably the year after that. I can’t speak for her, but I know I had an amazing time exploring the Nebraska wine scene. Hopefully, the experiences we had will only enhance our future adventures.
We always welcome the company of fellow wineaux on our escapades so if anything you see here or on Jessi’s blog, From Beneath The Cork, strikes your fancy, let us know. We’ll drag you along to share what we’ve learned and introduce you to our favorite stops and wines of the tour.

Sir Drunkalot still watches over us from atop my bookcase and will continue to protect our wine quests into the distant and hazy future.

No comments:

Post a Comment