Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Cheap wine

This one goes hand-in-hand with my Wine Snobs post because, for some reason, people have come to believe that in order for wine to be good, it has to be expensive.

Totally not the case.

While I am not proclaiming the virtues of Boon’s Farm or Fruit of the Vine (alcoholic Kool-Aid in my opinion), I am saying that you don’t have to spend $50 on a bottle to ensure that it is good.

My sister, Betsy, knows a man who owns a wine store in Denver called The Vineyard Wine Shop. They sell bottles of wine ranging from $7 a bottle to almost a thousand dollars a bottle. Everybody asks him for advice on wine, no surprises there, but I love his response when they ask him to point out a good wine. He says that if you like a wine, it is a good wine. No matter which one it is or what the price tag is.

During our wine quest, Jessi and I have found and tried hundreds (probably) of wines that were great and less than $20 a bottle. Most of the Nebraska wines are priced around $15-17 a bottle, usually a little more for dessert wines. Affordable, good wines made locally!

Don’t despair if you enjoy cheap wine… or boxed wine.

…But I do have to draw the line somewhere. It used to be at nothing less than $5 a bottle, which isn’t too bad of an idea when you consider the crappy wine you can find for less than $5. (Although, I’m not a total hater. One of my favorite Moscatos is usually on sale for around $4.77.) Now, I’ve graduated to nothing without a cork… or in a box… a girl has to have some standards.

Check out The Vineyard

No comments:

Post a Comment