Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Big Grape: Putting the Squeeze on Juvenile Diabetes, October 14, 2011

“Do you want to go to the Big Grape with me?”
“What is it?”
“A wine tasting thing.”
“How much?”
“Tickets were free.”
“Yep. I’m in!”

Jenna and my text conversation went something like that… but since my phone deletes text messages, I can’t tell you exactly what it was.

She had gotten free tickets from a radio station (which was good since they were $50 a piece) and she thought of Jessi and me as possible tag-a-longs. I wonder why…

Unfortunately, Jessi couldn’t go, but another of Jenna’s friends could, so us three set off to see what exactly The Big Grape was. Come to find out, it was a fundraiser thrown every year to raise money for juvenile diabetes research, not something I know a lot about, but a good cause none the less.

When we walked into the Expo building at the State Fair grounds, we were handed a glass and a nice little booklet that listed all of the silent auction prizes, sponsors, and beverages offered for tastings.

I spotted a banner that said “Vodka” and tried to make a bee-line for it. Jenna herded me toward the first wine table with promises to head there next. She made good on her promise and I got to try vodka that is made here in Nebraska. It was surprisingly good… plus, I impressed the socks off the owner of Cooper Chase Distillery who was there giving out tastings. He poured it into my wine glass and muscle memory took over. I swirled it, sniffed it, and then tasted it… just like I do with wine. He looked at me with wide eyes and said “You are a vodka drinker, aren’t you?” I laughed… Guilty as charged, but this blog is about wine, not vodka.

We spent the rest of the evening trying wines (and a couple different beers) from all over the country and world. It was fun to try wines that I would not normally have access to and wines that I had never heard of.

Some of them were Confectioners Angel Cake which was a sweet chardonnay, Emery Pink Moscato which was a little drier than most moscatos, and
Lucy Lane
from Jasper Winery that reminded me of Welch’s grape juice with a kick. My favorites of the evening were the delicious Chateau Ste. Michelle Harvest Select Riesling and Confectioners Chocolate that was a red wine with cocoa, it tasted like a tootsie pop with a kick.

I also felt a little adventurous and chose something that I wouldn’t normally try. I believe it was Warre’s Warrior Reserve Porto, a full-bodied red that I enjoyed at the first sip but it got a little much as I drank.

Scattered amongst the unknowns, it was good to see a few familiar faces. 17 Ranch Winery, Mac’s Creek, Prairie Creek Winery, Superior Estates, Cedar Hills Vineyard, Milleta Vista, and James Arthur Vineyards were there to represent Nebraska wineries and vineyards. They were all places that I have visited or are familiar with after seeing them and trying their wines at the Wine and Jazz festivals.

The Big Grape seemed like an event that was a little too classy to be held in the Expo Building of the Nebraska State Fair grounds. We had couples in formal wear (a step below black-tie) sitting next to people in jeans and work boots. It was an interesting juxtaposition that just made the event more fun to attend. It was a fun evening and for a great cause. I would love to go to another one in the future.

Go to this site to learn more! Avera-The Big Grape

1 comment: