Thursday, December 29, 2011

Semi-Sweet 16: October, 2011

Our trip to Miletta Vista Winery in St. Paul happened on one of those random trips that follow an impromptu visit to Kearney by Jessi. She came to town and we decided to venture to St. Paul to visit the place that makes Serenade.

Serenade is an amazing wine that Jessi and I discovered at the last Wine and Jazz Festival. I’m sure we’ve probably tried it before, but this year, it really stuck with us. We bought a bottle that night and many times since and it has become one of our favorites.

Setting out, we turned on the GPS and followed the directions diligently… until we got there and realized that we knew a much simpler and more direct route than how it took us. I am sensing a reoccurring theme of our tour-where the GPS gets confused and therefore we are confused. While we get to see some interesting countryside, it also gave Jessi’s car a mud bath and added about 15 minutes to a trip by taking us on unmarked gravel roads.

As we approached the tasting room, we could not help but admire the rows of grapes and the amazing view. Vineyard owners seem to really like putting the tasting rooms on top of hills, but the scenery is usually pretty spectacular, so I’m not complaining.

Jessi and I also decided that since we already knew (and loved) Serenade, we would not choose it for a tasting and give the other wines a shot. Something that worked out perfectly since that made it possible to try every other wine they offered.

We were the only people in the place when we arrived and we were the only people during our stay so we got to pick the brain of the girl behind the counter all we wanted. She was a wealth of knowledge and I enjoyed talking to her.

She gave us some food for thought while we were there. She introduced us to the art of matching particular wine glasses to different wines. For example, you want to drink red wine from a larger wine glass, leaving lots of room in the glass for air to mingle with the wine. White wine, you can drink from smaller glasses because they don’t need to breathe as much to enhance the flavors. She also told us about the Riedel class they offer that teaches people how to match wines to different glasses. The class was a little pricey sounding, but then she mentioned that everybody gets to keep the 6 different Riedel glasses used in the class (which are leaded crystal, by the way). Hopefully, Jessi and I will be able to get together to attend when it happens.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed their wines. I don’t think, since Glacial Till, have I liked so many wines that a single vineyard had to offer. There was only one red I didn’t particularly care for, while I rated almost all of the other wines (including the other reds) at an 8 or above. I actually gave their Edelweiss (no surprise, once again) and their Prairie Blush 10s.

Once we finished with our tastings, put our e-mail address down to get info about the class and talked them out of a few corks for our collections, Jessi and I each got a glass of wine and headed to sit outside to enjoy the unusual warm weather and the view from the patio. I got a glass of my favorite of the day, Catawba (and later bought a bottle). We were joined by one of the uber friendly cats that live at the winery… I’ll have to ask Jessi what its name was. She is way better at remembering stuff like that than I am.

I had a great time at Miletta Vista. It is one of my favorite wineries in western Nebraska and definitely in my top three favorite stops of the entire tour. I hope to return, if not for the class, then during our tour next year!

Miletta Vista Specs:
5 tastings for $5-ish
Food and wine-related items for sale
Souvenir glass for $3-ish (I can’t remember for sure)

No comments:

Post a Comment