Monday, December 19, 2011

15 Minutes of Fame: October 1, 2011

After we drove the thirty-some-odd miles from Paxton back to North Platte, we headed to Feather River. I was looking forward to this stop since my mom had visited there already and she knew the lay of the land so she had the advantage over the rest of us.

Jessi, Jenna, and I were blown away at how beautiful Feather River was, even surrounded by the drab landscape of late-fall Nebraska The vines covered the hills and the tasting room was nestled in a valley below a beautiful house that was home of one of the owners.

The bar was occupied when we arrived so we spent a few minutes wandering around looking at wine baubles while they finished up their tastings.

Then we pounced.

We started chatting with the lady behind the counter while we chose what we wanted to taste. My mom had tried most of their wines already so the choosing was left up to Jenna, Jessi, and me. I was surprised at the number of wines that Feather River had to offer, more than most of the places we stopped on the tour.

Wires were crossed with the first choice and she gave all of us what Jessi (I think) had chosen first, but it was ok since the tastings were free. Plus, there was four of us so we all chose different wines and exchanged glasses. I tried quite a few of their reds, but I liked only one-a semi-sweet called Red Neck Revenge. I enjoyed the whites with Edelweiss (no surprise) and Frosty’s White being my favorites.

We enjoyed our afternoon at Feather River, all of us bringing home at least one bottle (they had some of their 2008 vintages on sale).

I would love to go back. I think that I will have to talk Jessi, my mom, and Jessi’s mom into going back when it gets warmer so we can enjoy the beautiful surroundings and a bottle (or three) on their veranda.

Feather River Specs:
4 Tastings for Free
Wine Glass-$2 for small, $3 for large

No comments:

Post a Comment