Friday, August 19, 2011

First 6-pack of corks down: July 15, 2011

When we found out about Cedar Hills Vineyard in Ravenna, Jessi and I were rather upset with my roommate, Puffy. He grew up in Ravenna and didn’t even mention to us wineauxs that there was a vineyard in his hometown (which is a long half hour from Kearney so the closest by far). Jessi was coming to town for a visit so we asked Puffy if his mom and grandma would be interested in going to the vineyard with us. He asked for us and found out that his grandma would be if she wasn’t busy that evening.

Jessi picked me up from work and we headed straight for Ravenna as fast as her little Rav4 would go, but it wasn’t fast enough. Grandma Liz beat us there. Come to find out, she is friends with the owners of Cedar Hills and was enjoying a glass of wine with them when we arrived.

She helped the one of the owners explain to us how the tastings go and we settled in to try their wines. The owner brought us some homemade foccia bread and olive oil dip to enjoy with our wines before joining us at our table. They offered the most fruit wines that I have seen so far and during our conversation with them, Jessi and I found out that all (or almost all) of the fruit for the wines was grown on the property. They also had a full kitchen for meals and amazing pies (go for the strawberry rhubarb).

Toward the end of our list, Jessi and I struck up a conversation with Paul (Cedar Hills is owned by Paul and Joyce Sears) about the different sangrias he had been making and different vintages of wines they were planning. He was mixing their different wines with various fruits that they grew (his favorite was one made with La Crosse and blackberries) plus thinking about trying a strawberry-rhubarb wine for next year. Jessi and I jumped with both feet into the conversation and I suggested a strawberry-rhubarb sangria with their rhubarb wine and strawberries. He loved the idea and I think it’s something that Jessi and I will have to try on our own sometime.

After we finished our tastings, Joyce offered us a piece of her strawberry-rhubarb pie. Jessi and I shared a piece and enjoyed it with their rhubarb wine… something I suggest everybody try! Cedar Hills was one of my favorite stops and while I liked so many of their wines, my favorite was one I tried on Grandma Liz’s recommendation, Rossa Dolche. I also recommend trying their Elderberry wine. It is like nothing I have ever tried before and I totally agree when they say that elderberry is an acquired taste.

Cedar Hills Specs:
                  5 tastings for $5
                  Homemade Pies and other great food for sale
                  Fruit picking during the summer
                  Wine gift baskets made to your specifications

No comments:

Post a Comment