Monday, August 15, 2011

Chilled is one thing....

There has been more than once in my short time as a wineaux that I have purchased a bottle of wine from the grocery store and wanted to drink it as soon as I got home. I am not a huge fan of room temperature beverages (which is probably one of the reasons that I don’t really care for dry reds) so the wine usually finds its way into the freezer to speed up the process. On the should-be-rarer-than-it-is case that I had more than one bottle that needed to be chilled (usually one of Jessi and my’s wine and cheese nights), they would both go in the freezer and we would drink which ever one chilled fastest first.

This lead one poor innocent bottle of strawberry wine to meet a horrible end.

After our first Wine and Jazz festival, Jessi and I popped our two bottles into the freezer to drink as soon as they were chilled. We managed to get to her bottle that night, but my strawberry wine was forgotten. It wasn’t until the next morning that I remembered the bottle in the freezer. I raced to the kitchen and threw open the freezer door to find the remains of my wine.

As the wine froze, it expanded, pushing the cork through the foil and completely out of the bottle. Amazingly, it didn’t break the bottle, but it did make a mess of frozen, slushy wine all over the bottom of the freezer. I reverently pulled the bottle out of the freezer and set it on a paper towel on the counter and set out to clean up the mess… I might have wiped away a tear or two during the sad project.

It was a sad, sad day in the life of this wineaux, but looking back, it was rather cool to see. I would have put money on the bottle being broken when I found it.

“What did you do with the wine after it thawed out?” you might ask me. Well, I did what any good wineaux would do… or maybe it’s more of what anybody who hates wasting alcohol would do.
      
We drank it. It wasn’t good. Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment